What You Need to Know About Flash Sale Logistics
A well-executed flash sale can drive scores of new and existing customers to your eCommerce brand. But there’s also a serious threat lurking beneath the surface of these kinds of promotions: logistics. Without the right logistical support, flash sales can quickly backfire and send customers flocking to the competition.
Flash Sale: Logistical Considerations
The right flash sale has the potential to achieve viral qualities. Inspired by the announcement of an extremely limited-time discount on their favorite products, consumers share event details with friends and social followers who share their passion for the brand or product category.
For online retailers, announcing and promoting a short-duration sale is the easy part. The more challenging aspect involves coordinating the logistical details to ensure that the sale delivers satisfied customers who are likely to make additional purchases from your brand going forward.
- Inventory forecasting is critical. When you’re planning this type of sale, your nightmare scenario isn’t that no one will show up. It’s that too many people will show up and wipe out your inventory. If you haven’t accurately forecasted required inventory levels, you’ll leave large numbers of online shoppers disappointed and they won’t come back anytime soon.
- Know your customers. If you don’t know your customers, you can’t select the right mix of products to include in your sale. What does your typical buyer look like? What products are important to them? Before you determine your product selection, understand the demographic details so you can accurately structure your product mix and inventory levels.
- Provide product previews. Product previews can take a flash sale from good to great. As you get closer to the event, make it easy for potential customers to explore the products that will be offered on the day of the sale. In many cases, previews increase conversions and enable customers to share product information with their social networks before the event.
- Offer rapid shipping. If you’re planning to adjust for low inventory levels by reordering merchandise and extending shipping times, think again. Consumers expect fast shipping, even if they received a deep discount on their purchase. Before you launch your sale, make sure you have the logistical resources in place to deliver ordered merchandise quickly and accurately.
Flash Sale Logistics with Dotcom Distribution
Dotcom Distribution has served as a logistics partner for some of the world’s fastest growing eCommerce brands. Key features of our logistics services for flash sales include:
- Inventory Management – Our experience in the eCommerce space enables us to align inventory with actual demand, improving your ability to create satisfied, repeat customers.
- Sale Planning – Our experience with high volume flash sales has provided us with important planning insights that we can use to help make your sale an unqualified success.
- Flash Dock – Our Flash Dock streamlines the fulfillment process by taking merchandise straight from truck to package so your customers receive their orders as quickly as possible.
- Real-time Reporting – We provide real-time visibility to inventory levels, enabling you to avoid the inventory nightmares that can plague multi-channel promotions.
Want to improve the success of your next flash sale? Contact Dotcom Distribution today and let us put our skills and experience to work for your business.