Product Photography Tips for eCommerce Professionals
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and that’s especially true for eCommerce brands. There is no shortage of product photography tips and tricks available to you, but which ones are worth paying attention to?
As an online retailer, visuals are everything. High-quality images can be the deciding factor between you and a competitor. To come out on top and hook customers, you need crystal clear photos that showcase your products in the best possible way.
Common Product Photo Mistakes eCommerce Brands Make
Featuring product photos on your website is as easy as grabbing your smartphone and snapping a few images, right? Wrong. Low-resolution and poorly lit images are the kiss of the death for online retail brands. Other common mistakes eCommerce professionals make include:
- Elaborate scenes and complicated backgrounds that distract from products
- Not enough angles to display the entire item
- Lack of photo consistency across eCommerce sites.
3 Product Photography Tips to Help You Create Top-Tier Product Images
At first glance, product photography can be overwhelming. But the good news is it’s actually much easier than it seems. Good photographs don’t depend entirely on your experience behind the lens, or how expensive your camera is. It’s more about understanding the elements that make high-quality images.
Try these product photography tips to help you get started:
- Keep things simple with neutral, complimentary backgrounds. When it comes to showcasing products online, less is more. Elaborate, patterned backgrounds draw viewers’ eyes away from the product. Stick to a clean, neutral background that doesn’t interfere with merchandise, and compliments your website. Additionally, avoid going overboard on editing. A few touchups here and there are fine, but over filtering and odd photo effects make images feel inauthentic.
- Don’t be afraid of multiple angles. One straight-on photograph doesn’t tell customers much about your merchandise. In fact, you might experience higher return volume and customer complaints of product inaccuracy due to a lack of multiple images. Fully showcase your items by capturing items from multiple angles. Offer 360º and revolving views. This way, you give customers a complete, unobstructed image of products.
- Keep photos consistent across your eCommerce website. Consistency is key. When customers move between product pages, the images they’re presented with should be similar in lighting, color and style. Create image guidelines for photographers to follow when taking pictures. As you add new products to your website, you won’t have to worry about new images not falling in line with current ones.
Product Photography Tips from Dotcom Distribution
Dotcom Distribution believes eCommerce photography brings the intimacy of in-store experiences to customers connecting with the brand on computers, smartphones or tablets. That’s why we offer professional, skilled photography services to help excite customers and bring your brand experience alive.
We can help you with 360º spin images, on-model and on-form photos, still-life images, as well as soft goods images.
Interested in photography services? Contact us today.